Department of political science
Chair of the department:
Nikolai Y. Veremeev
PhD in Philosophical sciences, Associate professor
The department of political science was established in 1990. In April 2005 it became a part of the Institute of Social Science and Humanities Education (ISSHE) – a structural unit of BSEU. It became a degree-granting department in the major "Political science" (specialization "Political management"). Since August 2016 Associate Prof. Nikolai Y. Veremeev, Ph.D. is heading the department.
The department faculty includes:
- 2 Drs. hab., Professors (of which 1 is part-time)
- Dr. hab., Prof. Oleg G. Bukhovets
- Dr. hab., Prof. Yulianna I. Malevich (part-time)
- 10 Ph.Ds., Associate Professors (of which 3 are part-time)
- Ph.D., Associate Prof. Nikolai Y. Veremeev (chair of the department)
- Ph.D., Associate Prof. Dina V. Belyavtseva
- Ph.D., Associate Prof Alexei V. Belyaev (part-time)
- Ph.D., Associate Prof. Anastasia O. Bueva
- Ph.D., Associate Prof. Larisa V. Vonsovich
- Ph.D., Associate Prof. Anton A. Gorelik
- Ph.D., Associate Prof. Vadim A. Yelfimov (part-time)
- Ph.D., Associate Prof. Alexandr V. Yeroshevich
- Ph.D., Associate Prof. Dmitry A. Migun (part-time)
- Ph.D., Associate Prof. Alexandr A. Filippov (part-time)
- 6 Assistant lecturers (of which 1 trainee teacher)
- Assistant lecturer Alexei A. Ivanov
- Assistant lecturer Maxim M. Kozlov
- Assistant lecturer Ekaterina A. Timashova
- Assistant lecturer Petr V. Turuntsev
- Trainee teacher Kirill I. Kostinevich
Since the foundation of the department the faculty has been working on creating a new demanded major. As of now 32 special courses were developed and introduced into the learning process by the department's staff members.
The department carries out the preparation of the bachelors, masters and postgraduates. Teaching staff constantly improves the practice of the students' research work, the methods of organizing their practical training as well expanding the contacts with the potential employers and offering a wider selection of internships.
As of now the department provides its services to all university's schools. The faculty gives lectures on the following disciplines:
- Integrated module "Political science"
- Specialized module "Geopolitics"
- The Basis of the Diplomatic and Consular Service
In 2009-2010 the department carried out the first enrollment of students in the "Political science" major (specialization "Political management"). The first graduation in the said major took place in 2014.
As part of the bachelors' preparation in the "Political management" specialization the following courses are read:
- Introduction to the political theory
- Political ideology
- Political conflictology
- Organization of the electoral campaigns
- Public policy
- The political system theory
- Political communications and advertising
- Political problems of modern globalistics
- Policy and budget
- Comparative politics
- Political psychology
- The Theory of democracy and transitology
- Political parties and interest groups
- Political culture
- The theory of politics
- The theory of international relations
- Political analysis
- Social technologies and politics
- National-ethnic processes in the modern world
- Migration processes in XX-XXI centuries
- The theory of political decision making
- Methodology of teaching political science
- Political management
- Political marketing
- Foreign policy of the Republic of Belarus
- Political regionalism
- Local authorities in the Republic of Belarus and foreign countries
- Migration processes in the context of globalization
For the masters in the "Political science" major:
- Actual problems of theory and methodology of political science
- Methodology and methods of political analysis
- Special course "Global politics"
- Comparative politics
For the self-preparation of students in these disciplines, the faculty members of the department developed and published a number of textbooks and manuals, as well as monographs.
The department of political science also carries out postgraduate work in the following research programs:
- 23.00.01 Theory and philosophy of politics, history and methodology of the political science.
- 23.00.02 Political institutions, processes and technologies
- 23.00.04 Political problems of the international relations, of global and regional development.
Dissertational research in political science is now carried out by 5 postgraduate students and 1 aspirant.
In the past years the department has conducted scientific research on:
- Problems of the development of the political system during the transformation period
- Political modernization in the Republic of Belarus: traditions and innovations
The research of the processes that are taking place in the political system of Belarus under its sovereign status – one the most important directions in the development of domestic political science. The goal was to study the processes of political system's reformation during the transition period, the search for the optimal ways and means of transforming the most important spheres of the political life in a transformational society. The authors considered a number of theoretical questions of the study of the political system (the definition of the content of the basic concepts, its typology, etc.), the structural characteristics of the political system, the changes in its most important components in the transformation period (state bodies, political elites and parties, public organizations in the post-Soviet space, political culture and mass consciousness of the citizens of the Belarusian society).
Currently the faculty staff is carrying out the scientific research on the political processes and institutions in the Republic of Belarus and the modern world.