The history of our university
Hello there! We are the Belarus State Economic University. We are eighty three years old - a young university with youthful dynamism!The Belarus State Economic University (BSEU) was founded 77 years ago in 1933. For its activities back in the Soviet period it was awarded with the Order of Red Banner of Labor. This is one of the largest universities in the country. It trains specialists in the field of economics, management and law. The graduates of the university work in all the sectors of the national economy both in the country and abroad. The university has a developed infrastructure, which provides training and research within eight schools:
- School of Accounting and Economics;
- School of Commerce Economics and Management;
- School of Finance and Banking;
- School of International Business Communications;
- School of International Economic Relations;
- School of Law;
- School of Management;
- School of Marketing.
In addition, BSEU incorporates Institute of Masters Programs, Higher School of Business and Management, Consulting Center for Commerce, a specialized school of pre-university training, and a specialized school of psychological and teaching updating. The university has a Research Center, an International Relations Division, and a Publishing Center. The university library is one of the best supplied and equipped in the country.
There is branch of the university beyond Minsk in Bobruisk. The university has 54 departments (including 5 that are found in its branch), research laboratories, a student campus, and a retail trade center.
The training of students is done on a multi-level basis. The degrees pursued are those of bachelors, specialists and masters. The graduates can also continue their education in a post-graduate school called aspirantura (full-time or part-time), where they pursue a Ph.D. degree, and in a post-doctorate school called doctorantura to pursue a post-doctorate degree (doctor habile).
The Belarus State Economic University's student body accounts for 25,000 students, with 1,200 faculty members teaching them, of whom 47 percent have advanced degrees and titles.
The priorities in the organization of teaching are thorough training, a creative approach to mastering knowledge, as well as making conditions for the realization of individual abilities. The focus is made on providing of systemic level of studies, making connections among the subjects taught, establishing interdisciplinary courses, developing independent work skills, implementing active forms of the teaching process, and effective methods of testing.
The university is proud of its technical equipment. It has about 40 computer classrooms, training bookkeeping centers, as well as automated PC-based training offices for specialists in management, finance, banking, and commerce. Lecture halls have slide projectors and other required technical equipment. Classes are fully equipped for language study. Satellite TV, Internet and local computing network are widely used in the teaching process.
Acquiring new techniques of teaching and exchanging experience in teaching combined with doing research on topical issues of economic development are made possible due to fruitful contacts with companies, agencies, and related universities, including those beyond Belarus.
The universities of Europe appeared during the Middle Ages in connection with the growth of cities. In Italy, Spain, France and England first universities were founded between the eleventh and thirteenth centuries. As for Russia's oldest universities, Moscow University was founded in 1755, and the Academic University in 1726.
Education and science have a very old tradition in Belarus. In the past Belarus formed a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The oldest university in the Soviet Union was the Main School of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, which dated from the sixteenth century and enrolled about 500 students in the beginning. It was renamed Vilnius University in 1579. During the Middle Ages the University had a preparatory faculty , the faculty of Arts, that prepared students for entering to one of the three higher faculties - of Law, Medicine and Theology. Later this preparatory faculty was renamed the Philosophy faculty with Latin as the main language of instruction. Students studied seven liberal arts subjects consisting of the trivium of Grammar, Rhetoric and Dialectics, followed by the quadrium of Arithmetic, Geometry, Astronomy and Music. Students became Bachelors of Arts after finishing their trivium course. On completing the quadrium, students were awarded a master's degree. At each higher faculty master's degree and doctor's degree were conferred in accordance to the requirements of a faculty.
The University was a leader in many areas. In 1645 Vilnius University became the first university to recognize and adopt the Copernican view of the universe. A Ukrainian graduate of the University, Milenty Smotritsky, published the Old Church Slavonic Grammar. Another outstanding academician and professor of History, Philosophy and Rhetoric, Matsey Kazimezh Sarbevsky, was well known all over Europe for his Latin verses. The first works of Francis Skoryna were published by the Vilnius University Printing House, and in 1753 an observatory was commissioned which continues to function today.
On the teritory of Belarus as it is today, there were no institutions of higher learning before the October Revolution. Vitebsk Pedagogical Institution and Mogilev Pedagogical Institution were founded in 1918. Vitebsk Architectural Institution functioned from 1918 till 1923. The Narkompros (the People's Committee on Education) passed a resolution in 1919 to open 15 new soviet universities but the resolution was never implemented into life because it was the period of foreign intervention those years. The Belarusian Polytechnic Institution was opened in 1920; Vitebsk Veterinary Institution in 1924; and the Medical Institution in 1930.
The Belarus State University was opened in 1921. The University consisted of the RABFAK (Pre-University Training subdivision for working youth), the Social Sciences Division (which trained lawyers and economists), the Medicine Division, the Agricultural Division and the Physics and Mathematics Division. The Division of Social Sciences opened its doors for the first time to 237 students. Later this division changed its name several times. Starting 1925, it was called the Law and Economics Division, it had four branches in it, namely, Industry & Administration, Planning & Statistics, Finance and Cooperative Societies. For the first time in many years, the republic got 85 graduates from this university to work in all spheres of industry, finance and credit.
The Belarus State Economic University deserves the name "grandfather of the country's economists". The state's growing need for educated specialists was reflected in the Communist Party Central Committee Plenum resolution 'on national economic leadership' in 1929. The resolution stressed the importance of the training of economists. In 1930, the Department of National Economy was formed which comprised five subdivisions, namely, Industrial Economics, Agricultural Economics, Planning, Statistics, and Cooperative Societies. The Department's student body accounted initially for about 300 students but the number rose to over 700 students by 1931.
The SNK BSSR (the Soviet of Peoples's Commissars of the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic) passed resolution #215 on July 7, 1931, it ordered to transform the Social Sciences Department into three independent institutions - the Economic Planning Institution, the Financial Planning Institution, the Institution of Consumers' Co-operatives. These three Institutions are the forerunners of our university. In the two years of their functioning, they trained 335 graduates, but there was still a lack of experienced economists in Belarus, it was partly because of the fact that the graduates were distributed across the entire Soviet Union, from Brest to Kamchatka and the Far East. On May 20, 1933, the SNK BSSR passed resolution #721 to form a new university which had to join these three Institutions. This date is the birthday of our university. Located in Minsk, this university was originally called the Belarusian State National Economy Institution. At the request of the University's faculty members, the government issued a decree to name the University after the distinguished economist V.V. Kujbyshev. The University carried this name from 1935 till 1992.
With constantly succeeding reforms, the learning methods improved and the student body number increased. Better facilities and equipment also worked for success. Each year several graduates from the University took assignments to work for GosPlan BSSR (the Ministry of State Planning for BSSR). In fact, the University's graduates were distributed across all the country.
During the Great Patriotic War the invading Fascist Army caused severe damage to the University. Many pre-war graduates did not survive the war; classroom buildings, laboratories, offices and equipment were destroyed and the library partly burnt.
After World War II the University was restored. The SNK BSSR passed a resolution on the University reopening on October 28, 1944. Regular classes started in the premises of Secondary School #12 in March, 1945.
When the University restarted its activity, only 12 faculty members gave classes for 54 students. The following year, however, there were already 38 staff members and 252 students. The library already had the collection of 6,000 books. In 1945, the Republican Council on Science awarded graduation diplomas to the first 11 students of the pre-war alumnus class of 1941. First post-war graduates received their diplomas on March 2, 1946. This group numbered no more than 71 students, 22 of them fought in the battle-fields of the Great Patriotic War. From 1946 till 1950, 455 students graduated from the University. The main University's building (7 Sverdlova St.), started functioning on January 3, 1950. Those days one section of this building served as a dormitory for girl- students, for there was constantly growing number of students those days. Today, the University's premises complex comprises 8 students' dormitory buildings.
We remember with respect the faculty members, veterans of the Second World War, who fruitfully worked for the University for many years. Among those outstanding professors are Belokhvostikov, Dudich, Frolov, Zubchenok, Lasovsky, Kulikov, Levanovich, Kuchinsky,Petukhov, Skuratovich, Tsygankov, Protaschik, Galchenja, Satsunkevich and others. Over 100 war veterans worked as teachers and employees for the University. Among them are Visjulin, Borovik, Gapanovich, Gnevko, Zakharov, Zavidova, Zarubin, Zjatikov, Zavjalov, Komlev, Kruk, Lisitsin, Myskov, Mitukov, Mavrischev, Milovanov, Nekhay, Osmolovsky, Pekun, Piko, Pusikov, Potaenko, Pominov, Surdo, Sapeshko, Svirjakin, Tolkachev, Tsvelodub, Tsygankov, Chentsov, Tschukovich and Bankov, many others.
Our graduates are our pride, many of them went on to distinguished careers. An alumnus of the class of 1936, former BSSR Minister of Finance, Prime Minister of the State Planning Board, the deputy-chair of the Board of Ministers of BSSR, F. L. Kokhanov celebrated his 90th birthday on October 9, 2001. Another alumnus, M.G. Tkachev (the class of 1939) became a writer, worked as the Secretary-in-chief for the Writers Union of BSSR, he was also the director of the 'Mastatskaja Literatura' publishing house. I.V. Protaschik (the class of 1947) fought as a partisan in World War II, made all the way to Berlin. After the war he did research for the Academy of Sciences' Chemistry Institute in the area of topochemical transformations and was honoured with the title of the 'Inventor Emeritus of the USSR' in 1980. His discoveries in lubricant materials saved the country a great deal of money.
Among the graduates of 1949 is A. E. Gurinovitch, he was the Foreign Affaires Minister from 1966 till 1990. F.V. Borovik (the class of 1950) was the Rector of the University from 1969 till 1991. N.A. Sukhy (the class of 1953) was awarded the title of the 'Labour Hero of the USSR'. V.V. Miloserdov, Ph.D. in Economics, full member of the Soviet Union's Agriculture Academy, member of the Russian Academy of Sciences; later he served as the Director of the Science and Technology Experimental Complex for the Agro-Industrial Association of the Soviet Union. E. I. Krivejsha, Ph.D. in Economics, was awarded the title of the 'Honorary Professor of BSEU'. M.S. Kunjavsky (the class of 1957), Ph.D. in Economics, served as the President of the Entrepreneurs and Lessee Union; while I.N. Stashenkov (the class of 1957), Ph.D. in Economics and Honorary professor, served as the BSSR Minister of Trade.
- Class of 1958: P.A. Kapitula, Ph.D. in Economics, served as the Head of the Analytical Centre for the Republic President's Administration, and as President's Assistant-in-chief.
- Class of 1960: B.S. Kleptcha, Chief Manager of the Belarus Branch of the National Bank of the USSR.
- Class of 1961: V.I. Goncharik, President of Belarusian Labour Union.
- Class of 1965: V.P. Demjanovich, Minister of Trade of Belarus.
- Class of 1966: K. Z. Terekh, President of Belarus Cooperative Societies Union, deputy-president of the BSSR Board of Ministers, Minister of Trade.
- Class of 1967: V. I. Nichiporovich, Minister of Statistics and Analysis of Belarus.
- Class of 1969: P.G. Nikitenko, Ph.D. in Economics, Honorary professor, corresponding member of the National Academy of Science, Director of the Economy Institution of the National Academy of Science.
- Class of 1970: P. V. Kallaur, first deputy-president of the Board of Directors of the National Bank of Belarus.
- Class of 1971: A. P. Morova, Minister of Labour and Social Security of Belarus.
- Class of 1975: P.A. Kozlov, Minister of Trade of Belarus.
- Class of 1977: N.P. Korbut, Minister of Finance of Belarus.
- Class of 1979: P.U. Dick, Minister of Finance of Belarus.
- Class of 1981: V.G. Tsalko, President of the Committee on Chernobyl Catastrophe Consequences.
- Class of 1985: S.N. Domash, President of the Reginal Executive Committee of Grodno.
- Class of 1989: L.P. Kozik, Vice-president of the Belarus government.
Alexey Vasilevich Gurlo (1894-1960) - the director of Belarus State National Economy Institution (BSNEI) from 1933 till 1935.
He was born to a family of peasants in the village of Kopyl, Minsk region in 1894. He started his working biography as a postman in 1913, he became a member of the Communist Party in 1919.
He was admitted to the Pre- University Training Faculty of Belarus State University in 1922 and later to the main university courses, he graduated from BSU in 1929. After graduation he was assigned to the position of the Dean of the Pre-University Training Faculty and at the same time he was studying as an external post-graduate student at the Academy of Sciences.
At the beginning of 1933 he started as the first director of the newly opened National Economy Institution within the framework of the State Planning Institution of BSSR.
He was stroke off the Communist party membership in the autumn of 1935, then arrested on 13th of November, 1935. After a special summit of the USSR People's Commissars on Internal Affairs (NKVD) he was condemned and sentenced to three years of deprivation of liberty on 14th of May 1936. He served his sentence in Komy SSR; he was set free in January 1939.
During the years 1939-1941 he worked for Mogilev Regional Planning Commission. In 1941 he was mobilized to serve for the Red Army, front-line forces. He had been in active service till September of 1945. He was conferred those medals upon: "For Fighting Merits", "For the Defence of Moscow", "For the Liberation of Warsaw", " For the Capture of Berlin", "For the Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War". After demobilisation he worked as the chairman-deputy of Mogilev Regional Executive Committee, starting 1947 he worked as the department-head for Mogilev Regional Consumers' Co-operatives Union.
On 23rd of November, 1956, the BSSR Bar of Supreme Court of Justice cancelled the resolution of the special summit of NKVD, 14th of May, 1936. The case was ceased, and A.V.Gurlo was informed of lack of corpus delicti in his case on 23rd of November, 1956. A.V. Gurlo died in 1960.
Ivan Leonidovich Satsunkevich was the director of Belarus State National Economy Institution in 1935 - 1936 years. He was born in Makon, the village of Igumenski district of Minsk region, 1904.
He finished the Preparatory Faculty of BSU in 1926. He graduated from the Economy of Industry Faculty, BSU, specialization in wood-working industry.
Being a post-graduate student, he already held the duty of the deputy- director for industrial training at the Economy and Planning Institution. Starting 1934, he was the Dean of the Finance and Economy Faculty for Belarus State National Economy Institution; he worked as the director of this institution starting 1935. Later I. L. Satsunkevich was recalled to the Planning Organs (Planning Board) of BSSR, then worked as the First Secretary of Zaslavl District Communist Party Executive Committee. Then he worked as the secretary for Industrial Sector of Minsk Regional Communist Party Executive Committee.
During the Great Patriotic War years (starting 1942), he organized the partisan detachment, "Razgrom" by name. Later I. L. Satsunkevichand was the leader of the Resistance movement in Dzerzhinsky, Rudensky, Chervensky, Pukhovichsky, Minsky and other districts of Minsk region. He headed Minsk Inter- District Underground Communist Party Committee and the partisan formation of Minsk Zone in October, 1942.
I.L. Satsunkevich became the BSSR Light Industry Commissar starting March of 1943; then the Light Industry People's Commissar. Till 1965 he was the Head of the Fish Industry Supreme Administrative Board of the Ministers Soviet for BSSR. He was the elected candidate - member to the Central Committee of the BSSR Communist Party. He attended the Second BSSR Supreme Soviet as a delegate. He was honoured with three orders, among them the "Lenin Order".
Aaron Moiseevich Shtarkman (1903-1938) was the director of Belarus State National Economy Institution (BSNEI) from 1936 till 1937.
He was born to a worker family in a small town Perchev, Lublin province (now Poland). He became a Komsomol member in 1919 and a Communist party member in 1925. He graduated from a pedagogical college in 1928 and worked as a teacher for a secondary school in Koydanovo (Dzerzhinsk district, Minsk region), later he became the Principal of this school.
He continued his education as a post-graduate of the Academy of Science and at the same time held classes at BSNEI from 1932 till 1935 years. Starting 1936 he became the director of BSNEI.
He was arrested on 3rd of March, 1938, was accused of espionage. He was sentenced to death with the resolution passed by the NKVD summit on 26th of May, 1938. The sentence was carried out the same day.
The resolution of BSSR Military Tribunal of 8th of April, 1958, ceased the case against A. M. Shtarkman for the lack of corpus delicti.
Nikolay Vasilievich Kazjuk was the director of Belarus National Economy Institution from 1937 till 1938. He was born in 1898, in Korchitsy, Kobrinsky administrative unit, Hrodno region.
Nikolay went to Russia in search for work in 1915. He joined the Red Army as a volunteer in 1918, had been in the Civil War fronts for a while, he was shell-shocked in 1919 and was demobilized to Saratov, from where he was sent to study to Moscow. He was a student and at the same time he worked as a worker-journalist for the newspaper "Working Moscow".
Later he became a student of the Journalism Institution and continued his work for the newspaper. After graduation from this Institute he wrote for the Communist Party Central Committee magazine "Village communist". He worked for "SelkhosGiz" (the State Publishing House for agriculture workers and village population) and was the head of the Agricultural Production Department till 1932 and he was still studying, now as a post graduate.
N.V. Kazjuk was appointed later to the position of instructor for the Communist Party Central Committee Cultural Production Department and at the same time he worked for the Publishing Department. He was transferred to the BSSR Communist Party Central Committee as the head of the Publishing Department there in 1936. In November of 1937 he became the director of BSNEI.
He was arrested on the charge of belonging to counter-revolutionary organization on 28th of July, 1938.
During investigation the counts of the indictment against him couldn't be proven and he was set free on 8th of March, 1939.
Gavreel Leontjevich Sugrobov (1906 - 1989) was the director of Belarus State National Economy Institution from 1938 till 1939 and from 1949 till 1962.
He was born to a family of peasants in Penza region, 1906. He finished pedagogical college and applied to Moscow Pedagogical Institution, the Faculty of History and Economics. He graduated successfully and became a postgraduate student of Moscow Planning Institution, the Department of Economic Geography, 1936. After graduation he accepted the offer and became the head (obtained the chair) of the Economic Geography Department at BSNEI.
For some time he worked as the deputy-director, responsible for the studying process, at the Institution and became the director later. By the decree of the Communist Party Central Committee and the decision of the BSSR Soviet of People's Commissars (SovNarKom) he gained the position of the deputy - head of the BSSR State's Planning Organs in September, 1939.
During the Great Patriotic War and till 1949 he worked for the Planning Organs. In 1949 he became the director of the Institution again and continued his work for the Department of Economic Geography. He retired in 1962.
G. L. Sugrobov has deserved government's recompenses: the "Red Star Order", the medals "For the Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War" and "For Devoted Work during the Great Patriotic War".
When performing his duties as the Institution director he paid much attention to the questions of furnishing the institution staff with qualified employees, to the organizational process and the improvement of the quality of research and investigation. All his measures contributed much to the improved quality of young specialists training. G. L. Sugrobov died on 25th of January, 1989.
Pavel Andreevich Balabanov was the director of Belarus State National Economy Institution from 1939 till 1940.
He graduated from BSU in 1925, then became a post-graduate student, eventually became a holder of first higher degree, awarded on dissertation in economics. In 1938 he started his career as a senior lecturer for BSNEI. He perished in 1941.
Fedor Sergeevitch Mikunov was the director of Belarus State National Economy Institution from 1940 till 1941.
He was born in the village Snosovo, Ivanovo region, 1896. He became a member of the Communist party in 1918, took part in the events of the Civil war, he rose to the rank of the head of the brigade's headquarters.
He served as the deputy-head of the NKVD organs in Gorskaja Republic from 1921 till 1923. Till 1928 he performed the duties of the president of the People's Deputies Regional Soviet in the North Caucasus. He graduated from Timirjazev Academy in 1931, attended the classes at the Red Professorship Agrarian Institution. He held high responsibility positions for the People's Commissariat in Agriculture and the Administration of People's Economy Bookkeeping and Registration.
He worked as the director of BSNEI in 1940-1941 years. For some after war years he worked for the Damage Evaluation Commission; the Commission had to determine the rate of the damage after the fascist invasion to the Institution's premises, storehouses, equipment, etc. He was not elected as the Rector for the Institution and left Minsk after that.
Efim Nikitich Romanenko (1898-1971) was the director of Belarus State National Economy Institution from 1944 till 1949 years.
He was born to a peasant's family in the village Korma, Gomel region in 1898. He got his education at Mogilev seminary (theological training college). He became a member of the Communist party in 1919.
He joined the west front-line forces during the Civil war. He rose to the rank of the 98th infantry regiment commissar of the Turkmensky Front during the period of the struggle against "basmachi" (thuggery troops in the south of Turkmenia). He worked as a lecturer for Belarus Joined Military School after the Civil war.
E.N. Romanenko graduated from the Planning and Economy Institution in 1932, and then worked for the BSSR State Planning Organs for two years. From 1934 till 1941 he was the senior lecture and the dean for the Planning Faculty. He worked as a History teacher for one of Saratov region's schools, and as a lecture for the Central Committee of the Communist Party.
In the years of 1944 - 1949 he worked as the first after war director of BSNEI, afterwards he worked for ten years more as a senior professor and the head /chair of department.
Her retired in 1959 but still continued working as a part time teacher for the department of Political Economy. He was honoured with the order "Honour Plaque", the medal "For the Devoted Work during the Great Patriotic War in 1941-1945". He died in 1971.
Ivan Ivanovich Trukhan (1915-1991) was the Rector of Belarus State National Economy Institution in 1962 - 1965 years.
He was born to a peasant's family in the village Kamenka, Bobrujsk district in 1915. He graduated from Belarus State National Economy Institution in 1938 and became a post- graduate student at BSU, specializing in economic geography.
During the Great Patriotic War he worked at a secondary school in Penza region, later became the Principal of the Pedagogical College there. He was a student of the Communist Party Higher School in 1944 -1946 years. After graduating he worked as the Chief Editor for the SovInformBuro (the Soviet Union Information Bureau) in the frame of the USSR Soviet of Ministers. He combined that job with the lecturing for Moscow Higher Technical College (MVTU).
After getting his first higher science degree in geography he was transferred to Minsk and worked for BSU in 1949. From 1962 till 1965 he held the duties of the Rector of BSNEI. Starting 1965 he was the director of the Scientific Research Institution in Economy and worked for the State Planning Board of BSSR, afterwards he worked as a professor. He died in 1991.
Sergey Nikolaevich Malinin was the Rector of Belarus State National Economy Institution from 1965 till 1969.
He was born to a family of Bolshevik (a member of the Communist party with many years' length of membership). Before the Great Patriotic War he graduated from BSU, worked for the Economy Institution of the BSSR Academy of Science.
During the war he joined the Army in the field on his own free will. He served as an informer on political questions among solders, he fought at Kalininsky and Western fronts. He was seriously wounded two times.
After demobilization he worked as the assigned director of the BSSR Academy of Science Economy Institution. From 1947 till 1953 he worked as the deputy-head of the Propaganda and Agitation Department of the BSSR Central Committee and the head of the Science Department of the BSSR Central Committee; later he headed the Finance and Planning Department of the BSSR Central Committee.
S. N. Malinin performed as the head of BSSR GosPlan (State Planning organ) and at the same time the deputy-premier for the Soviet of Ministers of BSSR from 1953 till 1965. He performed his duties as the Rector of BSNEI from 1965 till 1969. He was honoured with the two "Order of the Red Banner of Labour", with the "Red Star Order" and four medals. He became the member of the Communist Party Central Committee several times, had been chosen as a delegate to the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. All in all his published scientific works amount to thousands of pages.
Fedor Vasiljevich Borovik was the Rector of Belarus State National Economy Institution from 21st of October, 1969 till the year 1991.
He was born to a peasant's family in the village Ksheli, Gress district in 1923. By the beginning of the Great Patriotic War he left secondary school and was admitted to the Physics and Mathematics faculty of BGU.
When WW II started, he made an unsuccessful attempt to get evacuated from the scene of war but had to turn back home to his parents' house. Here in the end of the summer of 1941, he met the secretary of Gress Communist Party Underground District Committee, the commissar of 225th partisan brigade, Vladimir Ivanovich Zayats. Zayats was left on the enemy's territory to organize the partisan movement there.
Fedor Borovik started to perform the commissar's orders for reconnaissance. Young Fedor got first conspiracy lessons from his mother Antonina Adamovna, who helped him a lot. He became firstly a messenger and later a full right member for the partisan detachment named after the legendary the Civil war hero Frunze. He got the order to collect military data on the territory of Gress and Slutsk districts. These data helped the partisans perform diversion and sabotage actions, set ambushes.
Starting 1943, F.V. Borovik was transferred to a special destination vanguard under the command of Vaupshasov. He carried out many special reconnaissance orders on there. He served as the Komsomol leader on the 2nd Belarusian front.
After war, in 1946, he was admitted to the Economic Theory faculty as a third year student, he graduated in 1950. He combined an excellent study at the University with very active public service - he had been elected to the Students Professional Labour Union Committee presidency several times.
After graduating he took a postgraduate course at BSU, and having completed it successfully, started his own teacher's career. F.V. Borovik was appointed as the Rector of Belarus State National Economy Institution, he headed this higher educational establishment for more than 20 years.
He was honoured with the "Red Star Order", the two "Order of the Red Banner of Labour", the medal "For Devouted Labour", the two medals "For the Partizan of the Great Patriotic War" of the I degree.
Roman Mikhajlovitch Karseko was the Rector of Belarus State National Economy Institution (BSNEI) starting 1991, he continued heading this higher educational establishment after its transition into the Belarus State Economic University (BSEU) in 1992.
He was born to a peasant's family in the village Alekhnovichy, Stolbtsy district, Minsk region in 1936. He left secondary school in 1953, passed successfully entrance examinations to BSNEI, was admitted to and graduated form the Institution with a distinction diploma in 1957. He started his career as the deputy-director of a shop in the city food stuffs trade chain of Mogilev, later worked as a state trade inspector from 1957 till 1962. R.M. Karseko started his postgraduate study at the Economy Institution of the Science Academy of BSSR in 1962, after graduating, he started as a senior teacher for BSNEI, and then performed as the deputy-dean and the Dean for the Economic Theory Faculty.
In 1979 he got the assignment to perform the duties of the pro-rector in external and evening education, starting 1990 he became the pro-rector in education.
R.M. Karseko became the Rector in 1991, he also is the member of the Board of the Education Ministry and the deputy - president for the Board of the Rectors of Belarus, the member of the Attestation Committee for the President's Administration of Belarus.
R.M. Karseko, professor, first higher degree in Economics, he is the member of the Education Academy of Belarus, Professor Emeritus for the Higher Education of BSSR, exemplary worker for the education system of the Republic of Belarus.
Among his honorary awards are the medal "For Devoted Labour on 100 Jubilee of V.I. Lenin", the certificates of good work from the Supreme Soviet of BSSR (1972) and the Supreme Soviet of the Republic of Belarus(1996), on 18 June of 2001 the President of Belarus honoured officially R.M. Karseko for devoted labour.
For its contribution to the training of specialists in the sphere of economics and scientific research, the University was awarded the "Order of the Red Banner of Labour" on 28th of April, 1983. On 20th of January, 1992, the Belarusian State National Economic Institute was renamed Belarus State Economic University (BSEU) by decree # 21 of the Soviet of Ministers of Belarus. In 1997 it was officially awarded the status of Leading Higher Educational Establishment in economists' training. Nowadays BSEU is not only a centre of learning and training but also of research.
Annually about 3000 students graduate from the University with specialiation in Economics, every third student graduates with distinction. The University continues to upgrade the quality of education and aims at high standards of contemporary university, able to meet the challenges of domestic and global economic development. New faculties and departments are created as the need arises.
The last decade saw the creation of the Faculty of Foreign Economic Relations, the Law Faculty, the Banking Faculty, the Preparatory Faculty, the Faculty of Pedagogical and Psychological Retraining, the Higher School of Tourism, the Higher School of Administration and Business, the specialist retraining centre "ConsultTradeCentre BSEU". Branch campuses of BSEU were set up in Bobrujsk.
BSEU is a full member of the Universities Association and takes part in many international and European programs.
The University is equipped with modern facilities, including computer classes, labs, auditoriums, language laboratories, studios, the access to the satellite television and the Internet is available.
Belarus State Economic University goes ahead in the search for truth, looks forward to bright future with strength and confidence!